The Comprehension Box
The Comprehension Box develops 12 specific comprehension strategies using different text types and genres:
- understanding words
- identifying the main idea
- finding similarities and differences
- fact or opinion
- finding information
- cause and effect
- point of view and purpose
What’s in The Comprehension Box?
- 150 colourfully illustrated cards with texts covering a variety of genres and text types.
- 15 colour-coded sections.
- Pupil Tracking Sheet Pad.
- Questions on the back of each card.
- Answer cards.
- Scope and sequence chart.
- A comprehensive Teachers Guide providing suggestions on how to explicitly teach comprehension strategies along with answers and pupil and teacher recording sheets.
How to use the box
The coloured sections enable the teachers to differentiate the cards and match them to the wide-ranging reading abilities of their pupils. Pupils working on the same coloured section can alternate cards and engage in various activities over ten lessons.
Helping you decide
- Develops comprehension and higher-order thinking skills by using different question levels such as literal, inferential and applied.
- Closely integrated with other curricular areas such as science, geography and history providing opportunities for cross-curricular links.
- Teachers can devise and implement their comprehension programme and use this flexible resource, which they can put into operation quickly and efficiently, to support their teaching.
- Self-correcting feature of the cards promotes pupil autonomy and independence (separate answer cards are provided), while the recording sheets allow easy monitoring and management of pupil progress.
- High-interest reading pieces with a balance of fiction and non-fiction texts incorporating a variety of genres with attractive illustrations.