Primary Comprehension is a series of seven books designed to develop pupils’ comprehension of text, both fiction and non-fiction, throughout the whole school.
- Twenty different texts from a variety of genre are used including legends, fables, science fiction, adventure, poetry, biographies, journals and reports.
- Each unit is covered over four pages:
- teachers page (which details genre type, the comprehension strategy developed, answers and extension work) – either fiction or non-fiction
- questions to assess pupil comprehension using three levels of questions - literal, deductive and evaluative
- activities to practise and investigate a specific comprehension strategy.
- Nine specific strategies are covered in each book: predicting, making connections, comparing, sensory imaging, determining importance, skimming, scanning, synthesising, and summarising.
- Detailed teacher notes include curriculum links, genre definition, information on question types, comprehension strategies and shared and guided reading.