The Literacy Box is a supplementary literacy resource providing practice in these four areas:
- reading – fiction and non-fiction passages incorporating a wide variety of genres
- comprehension strategies
- word study and vocabulary
What’s in the box?
- Teachers Guide containing 200+ pages of teaching suggestions and photocopiable activities.
- 75 × four-page literacy cards
- Page 1 – reading piece
- Page 2 – comprehension practice
- Page 3 – word study activities
- Page 4 – grammar and punctuation questions
- 75 × answer cards
How to use the box
Each card is divided into a four-page structure:
- reading text divided into numbered paragraphs along with related illustrations on the first page
- comprehension questions on the second page help promote understanding of the text
- word study and vocabulary questions on the third page ensure a different focus of attention on the text from the pupil
- grammar and punctuation questions on the fourth page encourage pupils to examine the same text from a different viewpoint.
Helping you decide
- Excellent for matching reading material to individual pupil’s interests and reading ability.
- The reading material is based on high-interest topics (incorporating content that has strong cross-curricular links) that appeal to pupils and ensure pupils encounter a wide range of genres.
- Self-correcting answer cards promote independence in pupils and free up the teacher’s time to work with individuals/groups.
- Comprehensive Teachers Guide offering additional ideas, activities, answers and lots of time-saving photocopiables.