Use The Literacy Box for 1st-2nd Class to:
Target comprehension strategies
- High-interest reading material in a wide variety of genres, incorporating both fiction and nonfiction.
- Topics that link into key curricular themes in science, geography and history.
- Practice of comprehension strategies using questions pitched at the literal, inferential and applied levels.
Focus on vocabulary and word study
- Vocabulary and word study questions specifically linked into the reading piece.
- Constant repetition of question types to ensure continuous practice.
- Suggestions for additional speaking and listening, reading, writing and cross-curricular activities relating to each card and topic contained in a comprehensive teaching guide.
- Creates independent readers and promotes spelling, punctuation and grammar skills through text-based activities.
Engage in station teaching and group work strategies
- Reading cards that are colour-coded according to reading level and difficulty.
- Cards can be used in mixed-ability or same ability groupings within the classroom.
- Independent correcting scheme to encourage children to correct their own work, freeing up teacher's time to work with selected groups in the classroom.
- 'Something extra' section at the end of the cards to encourage writing and further reading responses.
Flexible use within the classroom
- reading in similar ability groups
- group learning
- independent pupil work
What’s in the box?
- Teachers Guide containing 200+ pages of teaching suggestions and photocopiable activities.
- 75 × four-page literacy cards
- Page 1 – reading piece
- Page 2 – comprehension practice
- Page 3 – word study activities
- Page 4 – grammar and punctuation questions
- 75 × answer cards